Making A Difference
What We DO
When a Maine Vet transitions from being unhoused, MHVA assists by furnishing their new home. When MHVA shows up to a vets new home, “9 out of 10 apartments are empty, besides a blanket on the floor and a backpack for a pillow” says Chairman Kevin. All veterans receive a brand new bed assuring there is no more sleeping on the hard ground. MHVA also brings essentials such as: tables pans, bureaus, tv’s & more. All items are picked up by, transported & delivered solely by MHVA.
What Drives Us
The MHVA mission is to provide assistance and resources to Maine veterans of United States armed forces, with a focus of those facing homelessness. Other parts of MHVA’s mission, is working with at risk veterans as well as educating the public on the current crisis of homelessness among the veteran community. No one should should have to face the devastating effects of homelessness, especially those who raised their hand and took an oath to defend their country. MHVA is making a difference one homeless & distressed veteran at a time. We want to ensure a better tomorrow for every Veteran we cross paths with. Especially during our mission of transitioning from unhoused to independence in their new home.
*Select Maine Homeless Veterans Alliance from drop down menu.
Send To: MHVA
PO Box 1895 , Portland, ME 04101
Current Online Fundraiser
On Going Fundraiser
Save a Life
How Can I Help?
There are many ways you can help all of our programs. Donations of items and cash are always appreciated. Volunteering of time is also a great assets. Visit our Get Involved page to find out more about volunteering.
What Items Can I Donate?
The items we need vary by program and often change so it is best to check with each program to what their current needs are. However, there are some items that are a constant need for each program.
- Small Nightstands
- Recliners & Love Seats (no electric or sleepers)
- Gift Certificates for Hub furniture in Portland (The is where we purchase new beds for Veterans)
- Small dressers/Chest of Drawers
- Small kitchen tables (preferably the drop-down type)
- Kitchen chairs
- End tables
- TV’s (Flat Screen ONLY)
- $10 Gift cards for Cumberland Farms and Dunkin
- Batteries (AA, AAA, C, & D)
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- Adult Incontinence Products
- Sleeping Bags
- New Backpacks (no metal frames)
- Blank Notecards with envelops
- Postage Stamps
- Large Value Gift Cards for Hannaford, Shaw’s, Walmart, and Amazon
- Gas Cards
Where Do I Bring Donated Items?
Donations for both programs can be dropped off at either of the two locations below. Both locations have designated areas for donations. Please remember to include your name and address so we know who to Thank.
907 Ossipee Trail West
Steep Falls, ME 04085
Items We CANNOT Accept At This Time
- Used clothing
- Used bedding (including sheets & blankets)
- Used beds (including frames, foundations, & mattresses)
- Sleeper Sofas and full size sofas/couches
- Used dishes, cookware, or utensils
- Kitchen Appliances
- Used towels
"Making a difference, one Maine veteran at a time."
Ready to start making a difference?
Talk to us today